Monday, April 02, 2007

'es a scumbag don'cha know

Last Weeks Training:
Simple.
3x12km
2x bike
1x4km

A 10km Race.

I have a love hate relationship with 10km races.
I'm sentimental about them because it was the first distance I ever aimed for race-wise,but,if it was something tangible that I could slap with a rubber chicken I would,because it's a hard distance!

There's really not much room for error,or easing off. It's like having to run your best 5km,twice!

I entered this one with few expectations. For the past 3 years I have consistently run it at the same pace and finished around 57min. I don't think that's a disgraceful time with someone of my limited abilities,but, I just always thought I could do better.

I firmly decided that I would take 6minutes to ease into the first km because it's hard to count on a good start on this route as the path at the start is narrow and easily bottlenecks.
I had set my watch on a 5.45/per km pace because I thought it was a pace I could handle and if I stuck to it,I'd break the 57minute.

I didn't time the first km,but I think it was slightly faster than 6minutes.
I had a good run up and over the bridge and completed my second km in about 5.15.I decided then to try and maintain that pace as well as I could.Even if I slowed down slightly,later on,maybe I'd given myself a good headstart.

It was a fairly uneventful race,which is a good sign that I was foscused on what I was doing,that is,until my mp3 player stopped working.
I started feeling like I was losing speed around 8km and I kept reminding myself that I had run much harder distances and in harder circumstances than this.
I kept going and at around 8.5km decided to try the mp3 player again.'Lo and behold it worked and on came Eye of the Tiger!

Just what I needed.

I pushed on to the finish and as I approached the finish line saw 54 something.
54!..I wanted THAT!
And so,with a slight concern in the back of my head that maybe one of the digit lights had blown out,and it was really 56minutes,I sprinted for the finish.
I think I finished around 54.36.
That's a 3minute PR.

I'm thrilled with it.I needed the boost because,lately,I have been secretly wondering if my best running is behind me.

Now,I'm thinking..bugger that.

~~~~~~~~~~
There was a bit of squeeking last week about there being a website whereby students could post comments and rate their teachers.
You know-this type of behaviour makes me quietly bite my fist and breathe heavily through my flared nostrils.
What is happening to our youth??
What happened to the good old days when they spraypainted "MR SMITH IS A COCKHEAD" in bright red letters across the bus stop at the front of the school.
Bloody lazy I say.
~~~~~~~~~
And finally,the tune that came on AFTER Eye of the Tiger,that really pushed me home.
Enjoy :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Celeste said...

Wow Tinks - awesome time! I am happy for you. Next year, I'll run it with your and we'll both finish sub 60 - or at least I'll try!!!

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Three minutes off your 10k time is fantastic!

Way to go! :)

....Dan (still waiting for an email reply) Q

5:37 AM  
Blogger JH said...

Gee thanks, now I have that song running through my head, and I don't really know any other words damnit.

Well done on the PB though...

10:00 AM  
Blogger Stu Mac said...

A big congrats!!!

I laughed so much when I read your forum post, "AND..the only reason I know I have whiffy fingers is because I can't blow a snot rocket and so I sniff and wipe!

Don'cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me in-fricken-deed!"


Now is this when I work out why I don't have g.f... :-)

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home