Monday, January 08, 2007

Chi. It's not on the Chinese take-away menu.

Thursday: Rest
Friday: 6km run
Saturday: LSD-90 minutes
Sunday: 40 minute swim
Monday:Fartleks-5 min warm-up, 6x2min intervals at 5.30pace,1 minute revovery, 5 minute cool down.
1x circuit 'runner weights'

I recieved a copy of "Chi Running" by Danny Dreyer for Christmas.

The concept of this book intrigued me.Yoga/pilates/tai chi-these are activities that sound SO appealing to e and I have tried them all at one stage or another,but I never stick with it because as with most westerners,I spend too much time in my head and end up convincing myself that I'm not getting enough out of it.

And no,I don't feel all relaxed and calm after doing it,so don't try that with me and you know what?If you bring it up again I'm going to pull your nose hairs out and twang them like a banjo.

But the idea of incorporating Chi principles to make me a better runner? Well,I like that.

Surprisingly enough I have found that I already practice some aspects of the technique

My foot alignment is pretty good.
I think this is related to some Doris Day film I watched when I was very young and I was taken with the idea of walking with a book on my head and making sure that one foot was in front of the other.

I practiced that a lot,until I discovered the far less posture influential films of Jerry Lewis."HEY! LADY! HEEEEEEEY LAAAAAAADYYY"

I keep my lower legs fairly relaxed.In fact I try to keep my whole body relaxed.I understand that if you carry tension for a long time it will slow you down and make you sore.This is why I adopted what I call the "Giddyup" principle where I sometimes,in the middle of running,will let out a big breath of air.Exhaling automatically relaxes you.

During/after a hard run,horsies exhale loudly through flapping lips to relax themselves so that they can maintain momentum.

Have you ever seen a horse have to stop and do a quick hammy stretch?They don't need to because they have stayed relaxed.

What I HAVEN'T been doing is tilting forward.
This is the big thrust of the book.Lean forward at the ankles and let gravity do it's job.Keep yourself upright by moving your feet,which should be kicking out behind you.

Although I have practiced it several times after a chardonay or 2, I never consciously applied it to running.
But it makes sense! Why go to the effort of creating momentum,when gravity is more than willing to do it for you.

I need to lift my head more.I regularly check that my head is in the right position by doing the tripod technique.Thumb and middle finger resting on the collar bone,then extending your pointing finger to your chin.Your head should rest on it.
I am just waiting for a sicillian runner coming the other way to make a rude gesture at me whilst I'm doing that.

As great as my 'Giddyup" principle is,I do run with very tense thumbs.

So,my focus has been on;
relaxed calves and thumbs
head in correct position
leaning forward at the ankles

Now,although I am yet to allow anyone to film me running, I am starting to know when I am using correct technique.It feels like there is a string coming out the top of my head which is keeping my core straight/alligned and long.
My abs are engaged.
I feel as though I am pushing the road away from me,but BEHIND me,not under me.

My aim is to run like the Roadrunner.

Nice, straight lean forward, legs spinning behind me and a mad tongue flick.

http://www.jsgifts.co.uk/new/products/warner_bros/thumb/5081-Running-Roadrunner.jpg

Now that's some good chi,mate.

Beep ,beep!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should document the "Giddyup" technique. I'm sure there would be boffins all over the world willing to take credit for that one!

I've heard a lot about Chi Running lately (seems the fashion) and I must admit, I am curious. I'm trying to work out how you stop yourself from falling over when you lean forward. I think I'm going to have to get the book because the various descriptions make me imagine runners looking quite bizarre.

Good luck with it. Keep us informed as to how you go. I, for one, am genuinely interested.

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you hate the CH?

We miss you.

-taggie

3:02 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Then just imagine Wylie Coyote is after you...!

Although I don't think Roadrunner exhales like a horse... good luck trying to combine the two!

MAR.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

PS: Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, I first read this as "chili" running.

But surprisingly, even after I realized my mistake, this was interesting reading.

...dan the buttman

6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home